This is an old revision of the document!
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I apply for the EMSE?
- May I send my application by email/post?
- Can I correct any information after I have entered it? / Can I update my documents after I've uploaded them?
- I have already completed my online application but unfortunately there is no link or button for submitting or finishing application. So should I do anything else?
- Can I hand my DoV (Declaration of Value – Dichiarazione di valore) in after the enrollment period ends ?
- Where are Kaiserslautern, Oulu, Madrid, and Bolzano located?
- What are the constraints to move to the second university?
- So, when is the deadline of enrolment?
- Do I have to send my transcript after my first year to my second-year university?
- Since EMSE is offered as part of a consortium of universities, it should be clearly stated which institution will award the diploma degree. Would it be the University of Bozen-Bolzano?
- Workload: Has the EMSE a minimum workload of 1500 work hours per academic year, and a minimum of 60 ECTS?
- How can I pre-enroll if I am not an European Citizen?
- How can I select the elective courses for my study plan?
- Are there grants for Non European citizens?
- Can EMSE students apply for the 120h Job in UNIBZ?
- If I have not finished my thesis by the end of the second year and need to extend to the third year, do I have to pay for the tuition fee?
Can I correct any information after I have entered it? / Can I update my documents after I've uploaded them?
Yes, you are able to edit your application online as long as your internet is working and the application period is still opened.
I have already completed my online application but unfortunately there is no link or button for submitting or finishing application. So should I do anything else ?
The application does not have the “submitting” button. Your information has been automatically saved with the Logout.
What are the constraints to move to the second university?
Students are obliged to gain at least 52 ECTS and to accomplish a local language course in the first year. In partic-ular, these credits have to be gained by the end of the Enrollment period of the academic year in the Second-year University. No exception is made. Granted students will not be given the scholarship anymore if s/he fails this re-quirement after the first year.
So, when is the deadline of enrolment?
It is different in all universities and tends to change every year. Please kindly stay updated by contacting the EM-SE local administrative coordinator or on the corresponding university’s website.
Since EMSE is offered as part of a consortium of universities, it should be clearly stated which institution will award the diploma degree. Would it be the University of Bozen-Bolzano?
This is in fact a novelty: both the universities in which a student will attend the course will give the degree. It is in fact a double degree. So a student receive two Master degree with the effort of one.
Workload: Has the EMSE a minimum workload of 1500 work hours per academic year, and a minimum of 60 ECTS?
EMSE has a standard Master study plan. Namely it is created on the base of an existing one. It has 60 ECTS per year and it lasts for 2 years.
How can I pre-enroll if I am not an European Citizen?
The registration procedure for the pre-enrolment at Italian university degree programmes for non-European stu-dents is handled by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The pre-enrolment has to be done in your country at the Italian representative authority (usually the Italian embassy or consulate), which also translates and certifies your qualifi-cations. On the pre-enrolment application, applicants must indicate one university degree only and the university which they intend to apply to. Detailed and up to date information can be found at the Ministry site for foreign students (English version coming soon), and at the Faculty site for foreign students' pre-enrolment; the University has prepared a general guide for foreign students' pre-enrolment (note that the general guide does not consider the specificity of this European Master). If you plan to pre-enrol in our Faculty, our suggestion is to prepare the neces-sary documents well in advance, as admission procedures can be very complicated and time-consuming.
Are there grants for Non European citizens?
The European Masters Program in Software Engineering offers scholarships for non European and European citi-zens. Please see The Call The Italian Ministry of Foreign Affairs awards scholarships and study grants to non Italian citizens (“foreign na-tionals”), through the Italian representative authority in their country (usually the Italian embassy or consulate). The Italian representative authority will support the student to get information and to prepare the necessary doc-uments for the scholarship. Non-EU citizens with residence in the province of Bozen-Bolzano for at least one year (this is a mandatory requirement, which is proved by your Carta d'identità), can apply for the local ordinary scholarship as described above for European citizens. The scholarship is granted purely on the basis of the yearly income of the applicant and of her/his parents or husband/wife, and it is up to 5,400€ per year. EU and NON- EU students can get LLP grants for the year abroad. To have more information please contact our international relation office EU students if they have the residence in Bolzano for at least one year can get the lo-cal grant. Ask the International relation office for further information
If I have not finished my thesis by the end of the second year and need to extend to the third year, do I have to pay for the tuition fee?
In UNIBZ, no you are not required to pay if you manage to graduate by the end of the first semester, if not, you will have to pay for the whole year tuition fee plus some penalty for late payment. In UNIKL, the policy is that if an EMSE student needs a few months only for Master thesis in the 3rd year, then they do not charge the 3rd year tuition fee. However, if he/she has pending exams in the 3rd year, he/she needs to pay.